Sunday, March 27, 2011

Food Idol

"Therefore behold, I will allure her, and bring her into the wilderness, and speak comfortably to her. And I will give her vineyards from there forward, and the Valley of Achor for a door of hope: and she shall sing there, as in the days of her youth, as in the day when she came up out of the land of Egypt." Hosea 2:14-15


Wow. What a powerful verse! Let me paint a picture first, as it is hard to only take two scrpitures out and gleam insight without knowing the whole story. Hosea is a book of correction and warning. This is pre-Jesus time, so there is no blood to cover Isreal's sins. The Lord is making it know to Isreal that He has seen their idolatry and is commissioning them to repent! Chapter two, before these top two verses, is about the daughters of Isreal being "whores" and cheating on God with other Gods. He describes it as "..she wore her inscense for them, and decked herself out in earring and her jewels, and she went after her lovers and forgot me..." Still there is the voice of love speaking through God's pain for his missing children. He wants them to sing again! He wants THEIR LOVE AND AFFECTION, THEIR ATTENTION AND TRUST!


What do you trust in? I never thought I had idols in my life until last week when the light  shown so brightly on my heart and exposed them. I have had this picture in my mind of what I should look like: I should be thinner, dress better, have nicer skin, and then I would be enough. Then I would be beautiful! What a lie!


I have had two idols in my life:
1. the perfect ME
2. food


Now, I struggle with over eating more than I do throwing up. Throwing up is just a "back up" for when the shame of worshipping my idol of food gets to be too much! I never realized that until last week! No wonder I felt shame. But even shame is not from the Lord, which is why it leds me to do that instead  of turning to the Lord in my time of weakness. An idol is anything that catches your attention more than GOD. It's anything you set your thoughts on more than God, or anything you worry about more than God. Now that breaks it down now, doesn't it!


I am going to talk more to come on the practical applications of leanring to "think on the lord" when I'm feeling that pull from food in the coming blogs. Until then, I am leaning on that scrpiture. I will sing to the lord again like the days of freedom in the past! He is my hope! He is my trust!

No comments:

Post a Comment